flashHeader

Kim version 2.0

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

First post!

Adjustment to Japanese life

So yeah, I now live in Japan. I actually have a billion things to blog about and because I try to keep a sense of order to my writing, naturally I've been hella postponing the bloggingness. But whatever here we go ..

My plan of coming to Japan has been in effect for quite some time now. To be honest, I really don't know if it is the best decision for me at this point in my life. Even though I've planned on coming to Japan to work/live, I can't help but feel it was a rushed decision. But of course I can't erase my past decisions, so now here I am. Imasuing in Nihon.

Living in Japan has brought about an abundance of good and bad feelings. I mean shit, it's fucking dope that I live here and I'm able to make somewhat of a living here. I arrived on April 8th, and within 8 days, I was able to secure an English teaching job. I'm da shit, I know. Even though I haven't even heard a peep from any of the other English teaching companies, I sort of wonder what my working life could be like if I worked at a different company. For now I'm grateful I can make that cash money, so I'm just making it sound worse then it really is. Tonikaku..

Everyday I try to learn a new Japanese word. But the word has to be hella cool and/or useful in everyday conversation. Today's new word is Mottainai, which means "What a waste!". Which will be useful when I scream it out loud in an attempt to sound like I'm fluent in Japanese, shhh it's our secret. Speaking of learning Japaneseeeee, I've had like 3 or 4 Japanese classes thus far, and when I study Japanese I feel pretty damn good. Like I'm actually using my time wisely in Japan. I don't want to be one of those gaijins in Japan that live here for a billion years, but don't know shit for Japanese and pronounce Sumimasen as "Sue me my son". "F*ck outta here!"(tm Clock) For personal reasons, I want to one day be able to say that I am bilingual. So, here's to hoping that I don't get lazy.


Starflower
Ok, so this amazing piece of humanness is known as Shibuya. Oh btw, I work 6 days a week. That's right buddies, Kim's only day off is Sunday, reppin that Japanese work life to the fullest. Anyway, before I transfer to my last train to get to work, I have 10 seconds to marvel at Shibuya's beauty. Shibuya is
this like this hotbed of young adults, big tv screens, fashion(weird and good), and hangout spots. Shibuya and Shinjuku is like the center of the universe for me in Japan. Even though as time passes, I will probably appreciate it's beauty less, for now Shibuya is still one of the most amazing spectacles to look at. The cross street on the left is often shown in Japanese dramas and was also shown in that "Jumper" movie.(Which I hear sucks.)

What else? Well the language barrier definitely affects me in a negative way. I miss a lot of very good and influential friends back in the states. You know who you are. I made it a point to everyone I really cared about, to verbally express how great I think they are and thanks for their company, advice, and motivation. Now that I don't have easy access to these people, I've been a bit on the lonely side. I've met several great people from my past visits to Japan and I'm so fortunate I have their friendship. Being lonely is not cool. But even then, the language barrier does exist and it can be frustrating to not be able to express myself fully.

Man there's hella stuff to write about, I'll get back to this blog later on today. Beaches

No comments: